A recent survey showed that 80% of Americans aged 18-49 wish they had whiter teeth and that 6 out of 10 people believe that having whiter teeth would make them more confident. That is just one of the reasons why we are so excited to offer in-office whitening as a way for our patients to achieve a brighter, whiter smile… up to 8 shades whiter in just one visit!
This advanced whitening treatment is perfect for those who need a quick whitening fix! Whether it’s in time for your holiday party, photo-shoot, a family wedding or school reunion.
HOW DOES IT WORK? SCIENCE
Using our advanced, in-office whitening technology, we apply both a whitening gel and specially designed light to your teeth. The blue LED lamp works to activate the gel, breaking down the hydrogen peroxide so that the oxygen can enter your enamel and dentin. This bleaches any stains while leaving the structure of your tooth unchanged and undamaged!
DO I COME TO THE OFFICE OR IS IT AN AT-HOME KIT?
Both! Your professional whitening session happens in our office, with a dentist. This session combines the power of our LED light with a high concentration, professional strength whitening gel that can only be applied by a dental professional.
Then, we send you home with a maintenance kit, complete with custom bleaching trays and bleach material, to ensure a long lasting, bright smile.
HOW LONG WILL MY APPOINTMENT TAKE?
We recommend a dental cleaning prior to beginning treatment in order to achieve the best results. Once the cleaning is complete, your whitening session should take about an hour! In fact, our products are clinically proven to whiten your teeth up to 8 shades in just 45 minutes!
At Westover Family Dentistry, we’re always up-to-date on the latest advances in research and the newest technologies to be sure we can accommodate each of our patients’ unique needs.
Click below to schedule your ZOOM appointment today and smile brighter this holiday season!
At Westover Family Dentistry, we’re often asked why we think it is so important for our patients to come in for regular dental cleanings. Poor oral hygiene has been proven to lead to several dental and medical problems. Below, we’ve put together 7 important reasons to have regular cleanings at your dentist:
- Several recent studies have linked gum disease with heart disease. Having a dental cleaning every 6 months unquestionably reduces strokes and heart disease.
- Keep your teeth clean, and you will KEEP your teeth. Gum disease is the leading cause of adults losing their teeth. Brushing and flossing do help, but a good dental cleaning is essential.
- The hygienist is a key dental person to keep an eye on your dental health. In addition to doing good cleanings, she can spot tooth problems (broken fillings, cavities) before they become bigger problems.
- Dental cleanings are usually completely covered by insurance. So, if you have insurance, take advantage of the benefits you deserve and are paying for.
- Having a brighter, clean smile has been shown to help us both socially, and in business. Looking to get that good job? Expect to be around people? Having cleaner teeth with fresh breath is a big plus.
- Regular cleanings prevent bad breath. Persistent bad breath has often been linked to poor oral hygiene. Regular cleanings will remove tartar, plaque, and stains that cause many of the bad odors associated with “halitosis”.
- Last but not least. We all need to be aware that oral cancer exists all too often. The American Dental Association says that one person in the U.S. loses their life every hour to oral cancer. The well trained hygienist and the dentist are trained to spot oral lesions at their early stages. So, you may come in for “just a cleaning,” but it could save your life.
The main goal of Westover Family Dentistry is to keep the mouth clean and healthy in order to prevent serious dental problems. To achieve this goal, we recommend that patients schedule dental exams a minimum of once every six months. At these appointments, we can monitor oral health, provide soft-tissue management, and recommend any necessary cosmetic dentistry or restorative dentistry treatments.
For more information on preventative dentistry treatment, click here or click below to schedule an appointment today.
- Hyperactivity or inattention (many children who are diagnosed with ADHD are actually not hyperactive but rather are showing the clinical symptoms of OSA).
- Crowded teeth
- Insomnia or difficulty sleeping (tossing and turning or night sweats)
- Loud breathing during sleep
- Waking up at night short of breath
- Chronic mouth breathing
- Snorting or choking sounds during the night (indicating a restart of breathing)
- Extreme drowsiness / hyperactivity throughout the day
- Changes in mood, misbehaviour or decline in school performance
They could have Sleep Disordered Breathing or Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) – a chronic condition where breathing is limited or stops periodically during sleep because soft tissue is relaxing and obstructing the airway. These periodic stops can happen as many as 20-30 times in an hour and cause a lack of oxygen to the brain, waking up your child so that they restart proper breathing. All that waking up can leave one pretty sleepy the next day – even if they don’t remember waking up!
Untreated, obstructive sleep apnea can affect school work and overall alertness as well as raise your child’s risk of serious health problems down the road. These include:
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Chronic acid reflux
- and even Depression
According to the American Academy of Otolaryngology (ENTs) sleep disordered breathing affects approximately 12 percent of children.
Luckily, sleep apnea and sleep disordered breathing is treatable. It just needs to be diagnosed. That’s where you come in: if your child has any of the above-listed symptoms, bring them to see us for a free consultation at Westover Family Dentistry.
Dentists are leading specialists in spotting Sleep Apnea / Sleep Disordered Breathing early because of our familiarity and expertise in working with the soft tissue in children’s mouths. Dr. Austin Westover makes a point of asking all parents if they’ve noticed any of these symptoms when they first consult with new patients.
If your child is exhibiting any of these symptoms, bring them in for a free consultation. We can help with a treatment plan and make sure your kids are sleeping soundly!
While Sleep Apnea can have very serious side effects, it is treatable. The most important thing you can do is pay attention and have your child evaluated at Westover Family Dentistry.
Having a great smile is a strong asset. Flashing those pearly whites is seen as an indication of a warm personality and can instantly attract others. A beautiful smile builds confidence and is even a factor in maintaining good health in other areas of the body. As we age, tooth deterioration often becomes a major factor in the search options for restorative treatment. If this is the case for you, you’re not alone. Many adults have lost some or all of their teeth due to a variety of causes, including tooth decay, gum disease or accidents. Dental implants are the trusted way to experience life with intact teeth again. You’ll find that at my practice, I can help you on the journey to regain the beautiful smile that’s so much a part of who you are.
Dental implants are small metal artificial tooth roots that are placed under your gums. Although implants are not the only way to replace missing teeth (bridges and dentures are other alternatives) implants can often feel the most like real teeth. I will create the best treatment plan based on your individual needs. If I do recommend implants, there are some significant benefits, including:
Dental implants, if cared for properly, can last a lifetime. Of course, good oral hygiene and regular dental visits are important.
The only person who will know about your decision to pursue dental implants is you. Implants are made to look and feel just like your natural teeth.
With dental implants, you don’t have to worry as you do with dentures that they might slip out of position. In addition, you won’t have to deal with any messy glue that helps hold removable dentures in place.
4) Improved Speech: If you wear dentures, you no longer need to worry about slipping teeth that might cause you to slur your words.
5) Improved Self-Image: Dental implants help restore a youthful appearance and help you feel better about yourself.
6) Improved Oral Health: Unlike tooth-supported bridges, dental implants don’t involve any anchoring to your surrounding teeth. Keeping the other teeth intact makes cleaning easier, which enhances your oral health.
For more information on the benefits of dental implants and how you can take the first step towards achieving your new smile, contact us at your earliest convenience. Take a first look at: westoverfamilydentistry.com or call 540-MyTeeth (698-3384). My team and I look forward to meeting you!